Tuesday 26 February 2013

Natasha's Red Wine Sauce

I normally don't make myself pasta or rice because it's high in carbohydrates and I consider that my cheat meal but today I was craving pasta for lunch. I didn't feel like making my typical tomato sauce so I decided to try a red wine reduction sauce. I'm not exactly sure what actually goes into a red wine sauce but I figured I'd wing it.  I don't watch very much tv but when I do, I watch the Food Network. Chopped is my all time favourite show, I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before, and I was somewhat inspired by that show to make my sauce.  Since I was eating bad I decided to add cheese to the sauce (sorry vegans!!) but the cheese can be omitted from the recipe and it will be vegan.



Ingredients

Olive oil- 2-3 tbsp
Garlic- 1/2 clove (you could add more but I work later and I don't want to smell like garlic)
Onions- 1/4 of a red onion
Red Wine- 1/2 cup
Flour- 2 pinches
Parmesan Cheese- 1 tbsp
Salt and Pepper- to taste
Black Olives- 2 tbsp sliced olives
Spinach- a hand full
Mushrooms- 4 caps

Whole Wheat Pasta- I used spaghetti 

Heat a medium size pan over medium heat and add the oil. While oil is heating up, boil water for pasta. Add garlic and onions and let cook for about 2 minutes. Add the red wine, flour (to thicken sauce), and cheese. Add salt and pepper. Stir around for 1 minute and reduce heat to a simmer. Add the olives, spinach and mushrooms. Stir occasionally.  When water boils add the pasta to the pot. When the pasta is almost done turn the heat back up on the sauce to medium low heat and add drained pasta to the sauce pan. Cook for about a minute. Add pasta to a bowl and garnish with more cheese.

All these measurements are estimates, feel free to add or subtract ingredient amounts based on your personal taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment