Wednesday 20 February 2013

Italian Chili Recipe

Last night I was feeling creative, so when I got home from work I heated up a wok and started digging through my pantry.  I wanted to make some sort of bean dish with a tomato broth. It ended up turning into an Italian style chili which was really delicious but I'll have to attempt my tomato broth again. As I was cooking I had the show Chopped playing in the background for some inspiration. The talent and creativity of some of the chefs on that show is mind blowing. I ate the chili with chips but you could add pasta or rice.


Garlic- 1 Clove
Red Onions- 1/4 of the onion
Olive Oil- 1 tbsp
Dried Oregano- 3/4 tsp
Crushed Chili Peppers- I added around 1 tsp but I love spicy food. You can add anywhere from 0-1 tsp depending on the amount of heat you like
Bay Leaves- 2 leaves, remember to remove once cooking is complete
Salt- 1/4-1/2 tsp depending on taste
Pepper- 1/2 tsp
Garlic Salt- 1/4 tsp
Carrots- 1 carrot
Green Peppers- 1/2 a pepper
Black Olives- 1/4 of a cup
Mushrooms- 4 caps
Tomato- 1 whole tomato
Kidney Beans- 1 cup
Tomato Paste- 1 can
Water- 1 cup
Balsamic Vinegar- 2 tbsp
Tortilla chips
Cheese- non vegans

Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. Chop all vegetables. Add the chopped garlic and most of the onions and cook until the onions are transparent. Add all the chopped veggies, beans, and spices. Let cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, water and remaining onions, stir the chili. Let cook for another minute or so and then add the balsamic vinegar. Bring the chili to a boil and reduce heat to low, simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  While chili is cooking carefully taste the chili (careful it's hot!) and add more spices if needed.  When ready serve with tortilla chips in a bowl. Don't forget to find the bay leaves and remove them from the chili. Non vegans can add cheese if they wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment