Tuesday 12 February 2013

Tiramisu Tuesday

I wouldn't consider myself a religious person but certain holidays and traditions I feel the need to celebrate. Like today, Pancake Tuesday ! I do prefer waffles over pancakes but I am not going to let that get in the way of eating pancakes. I kind of like a tradition where you stuff yourself silly....
Chloe's cookbook has a vegan tiramisu pancake recipe that sounded soo good I had to make it this morning. It's found on page 25 from her book "Chloe's Vegan Desserts".

Any recipe that calls for coffee and booze sounds good to me ! Especially for breakfast ;).
The recipe was easy to follow and it took me about 25 mins to make (cooking time included).

I did not have instant espresso powder or canned coconut milk. I omitted the coconut whipped cream and used instant coffee instead of espresso.

I mixed the dry ingredients first.






Then I mixed the wet ingredients. I like that the recipe uses maple syrup instead of regular sugar.

In goes the booze... save a shot for later hehe.

Then I added the wet to the dry ingredients.

Then added the chocolate chips .. mmm.

The recipe says do not over mix, so I tried not to. It ended up looking like this after I was done mixing. It smelled really good, just like tiramisu. I could distinctly smell the coffee and rum.

I cooked the batter in a lightly greased pan using about 3 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. My pancake flipping skills are questionable... also my photography skills, I'm working on it :).

The smell of the cooking pancakes filled up the whole house. I tried to make mine look like the the picture in the cook book.... close enough :P.

I added powdered sugar and more maple syrup to finish it off.
I finally put my camera down and tasted them. They were really good but unfortunately I didn't get a strong rum or coffee taste once cooked, I'm not sure if it was partly my fault for not using espresso. If I was to make them again I would double the amount of rum and coffee. I mostly tasted dark chocolate...not a bad thing. Also I would make the pancakes thinner but that's my fault not the recipe.

This is my cat Casey judging the pancakes, I always get her opinion on my baking. She looks mad but it's just the flash. Casey approves.


Ease of recipe: 5/5
Simple ingredients and simple instructions.

Taste: 2.5/5
They lost points because I couldn't taste the coffee or rum but they do taste good don't get me wrong!!

Friends/Family thoughts: 4/5
My mom tried them even though she wasn't hungry, she really liked them.

Likely hood to remake recipe: 3/5
Usually I have Vega One for breakfast but on special occasions I would like to remake these pancakes.  I would also like to remake them with more rum and coffee.

Overall Cooking Experience: 4/5
The pancakes were really fun to cook up. Booze, coffee, and dessert really makes sense to me.

Bonus Casey Points: 1/1
Casey came and sat on my lap when I went to eat these... she approves :).


Final: 19.5/25

My final thoughts on these pancakes are try them tonight! Celebrate Fat Tuesday with tiramisu pancakes. Even if you aren't vegan you will not notice the difference. Put that Aunt Jemima mix away and open your cook books! Baking from scratch with this recipe is easy. Tash and Casey approved. 

xoxo

tash



Coscarelli, Chloe (2013) Chloe's Vegan Desserts. New York, NY: Atria Paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment