Wednesday 13 February 2013

Sweet and Spicy Peanut Stir Fry

Today I left my cookbook behind and experimented with asian flavours. For lunch I made myself an Asian inspired stir fry. I always said if I was ever on death row my last meal would be Thai food :P. This recipe is based on vegetables and spices found in my kitchen and I encourage people to do the same with their meals. It is fun going out for dinner but it is very rewarding to create a meal from scratch.

My stir fry is a combination of salty, sweet, and spicy flavours.  This meal is very quick and very easy to make. I do not add rice or pasta to my stir frys because I like to avoid those kind of carbs. Feel free to add or change what you like. All measurements are estimates please change them based on your preferences.


Ingredients

  • Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
  • Garlic Powder (or fresh garlic if you have it)- 1/2 tsp
  • Chili Peppers- 1/2 tsp 
  • Pepper- 2 pinches
  • Salt (optional, soy sauce is very salty)- 1 pinch
  • Soy Sauce- 1- 1 1/2 tbsp 
  • Natural Peanut Butter- 1 tbsp
  • Ground Ginger- 1/4 tsp
  • Onion- 1/4 of  the onion 
  • Broccoli- 3-4 few florets
  • Carrots- 1 carrot
  • Green Pepper- 1/4 of a green pepper
  • Kidney Beans- 1/2 cup
  • Mushrooms- 2-3 caps 
  • Mango- 2 slices
  • Cashews- 2-3 minced (optional garnish) 

In a wok heat olive oil on medium heat. While the pan is heating up chop up all vegetables and fruit. Add onions and let cook until slightly transparent. Add the garlic powder, chili peppers, salt, pepper, soy sauce, natural peanut butter and ground ginger.  Stir around and add broccoli and carrots. Cook for 1-2 minutes and green peppers and kidney beans. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and add mushroom and mango. Carefully taste a vegetable and determine if it needs more spices... careful it's hot ;). Stir every minute or so and cook until vegetables are desired tenderness.
Plate and sprinkle ground cashews on top.


xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment