Tuesday 30 April 2013

Basil and Sun Dried Tomato Hummus

Summer is coming and that means barbecue season. For a vegan/vegetarian backyard get togethers with meat eaters can be difficult if you don't arrive prepared.  I recently had my first barbecue of 2013 and it was a great success. My meat eating friends prepared barbecue chicken and I made a tofu scramble on the stove. Together we prepared a variety of fresh veggies wrapped in tinfoil and marinated in salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic.  We put the veggies packed in tinfoil on the grill until they were cooked but still crunchy. I am always surprised how such simple ingredients can taste so delicious.
Recently I've been going through a sun dried tomato and fresh basil obsession, I've literally been adding them into everything, so it only made sense that I add it to my hummus. I've been making fresh hummus for years now and I feel like it surpasses the store bought kinds in taste and freshness. I never add oil to my hummus because the tahini is oily enough and I don't feel like you can even taste the olive oil.  After making this hummus I actually licked the food processor bowl... so needless to say this recipe is a success.



Chickpeas                   1 can
Chickpea water           1/2 can
Lemon Juice                2 lemons
Tahini                         1/3 cup
Fresh Basil                  8 leaves or to taste
Sun dried tomatoes     10
Garlic                          2 cloves chopped or to taste (I work with people so I can't put as mush in)
Salt                            1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Pepper                        1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Crushed Chili Peppers  (optional) 1/2 teaspoon or to taste

Drain out half the liquid in a can of chickpeas and add the chickpea water and chickpeas to a food processor or blender, blend until mixture is creamy. Add in the tahini and lemon juice and allow to mix for about 15 seconds. Add in fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes and chopped garlic and allow to mix for 15 seconds. Add in salt, pepper and chilis. Mix until smooth about 45 seconds. Taste test the hummus and add more of the "to taste" ingredients if necessary.
Allow to chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve with chips or veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment