Tuesday 14 May 2013

Gluten Free Vegan Lemon Tart


Lately I've been busy making my own creations in the kitchen that I haven't been baking anything from my vegan cookbook. My family came over for Mother's Day so I took that opportunity to bake something for everyone. I really enjoy baking but I feel like I need to bake for some event, otherwise I end up with an overwhelming amount of dessert. I have been trying healthier alternatives to traditional dessert ingredients such as using agave nectar instead of refined sugar and using gluten free flours.

For mothers day I had a few dietary restrictions to keep in mind for my dessert. My dessert had to be vegan, gluten free and as low in sugar as possible. The dessert I decided to make was a vegan gluten free lemon tart. I was hesitant to make this tart because I really dislike lemon flavoured desserts, I figured since I was baking it, I could control the amount of lemon.  The lemon topping for the dessert was very much like a custard which turned out to be very easy to make as long as you followed the baking instructions. The recipe has yellow food colouring as an optional ingredient, I was trying to keep things natural, so I left out the food dye. My tart filling was a whitish colour that I found distracting because normally our over processed lemon desserts are bright yellow. There was a definite brain and visual confusion that quickly went away after the first bite.



Let's face it, I need to work on my food photography, cat photos I'm amazing, food not so much.  This photo was taken by my wonderful (cough not) cousin Christopher. 


This recipe was taken from Chloe's Vegan Cookbook. 
I made the gluten free alternative pie crust.

Ease of recipe: 4/5 
I found it very easy to make. I think the custard part of the dish could be a challenge to a new baker. 

Taste: 5/5
The dessert is light, low in calories and tasty. 

Friends/Family thoughts: 5/5
My picky family seemed to really enjoy it and they're vocal about taste ! 

Likely hood to remake recipe: 5/5
I would most definitely make the recipe again but next time I'd change the flavour of the custard to banana, raspberry or maybe even chocolate. 

Overall Cooking Experience: 5/5
I really enjoyed baking gluten free. I also liked making the custard because I've never made it before and I enjoy the challenge.

Bonus Casey Points: 0/1
Casey was not around to judge this recipe :(.


Final: 24/25

Awesome dessert. A must make!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment