Friday 17 May 2013

Natasha Fraycat's Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today I did something I've never done before, I baked without a recipe. I've been getting more comfortable cooking free style but baking is more complicated. This morning was different. I woke up feeling inspired.
I figured it would be best to start simple so I wrote down the basic make up of a chocolate chip cookie. After some research on the purpose of eggs and figuring out the difference between baking powder and baking soda, I came up with my perfect chocolate chip cookie !
I'm so proud of my litte ol' self :) I'm finally taking my knowledge and applying it to my own creations, how exciting! The baking possibilities are endless now.




Ingredients
Spelt Flour- 1 cup
Cinnamon- 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg- 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder- 1/2 tsp
White Sugar- 1/4 cup
Brown Sugar- 1/3 cup
Earth Balance vegan butter- 1/2 cup
Ener-G egg replacer- 1 "egg"
Vanilla- 1/2 tsp + a dash more
Almond Milk- 1 tbsp
Rolled Oats- 1/2 cup
Vegan Dark Chocolate chips- 1/2 cup
Unsweetened Coconut shreds- 2 tbsp

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder in a separate bowl and put aside.

Mix on a low speed white sugar, brown sugar and butter for about 45 seconds.

Add the "egg" and mix for another 30 seconds.

Add the vanilla and almond milk and mix for another 30 seconds.

Add the dry mixture to the wet and mix on low until a dough forms, about 1 minute.

Fold in rolled oats until evenly mixed.

Fold in chocolate chips until evenly mixed.

Fold in the coconut shreds.

Line a baking pan with parchment paper and divide batter into small (golf ball) sized balls.  Make sure there is a distance of about 1 1/2 inches in between the balls of batter. Press the batter down with a fork. Put in the top rack of the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes depending on your oven or until edges of the cookies turn brown. Cool on a baking rack and enjoy :)


 (These cookies are not suitable for cats, Casey just likes smelling them)


No comments:

Post a Comment